Strawberry season is upon us! Strawberries are nutritious and can be included in any meal or snack of the day! Strawberries contain plenty of nutrients such as vitamin C, folate, and fiber.1
Fun Strawberry Facts:
- California is the largest producer of domestically grown strawberries, supplying almost 90% of the strawberries grown in the United States.2
- On average, there are 200 tiny seeds on every strawberry. 2
- Strawberries are the most popular berry in the United States. Ninety-four percent of American households consume strawberries. On average, Americans eat more than three pounds of fresh strawberries each year plus another almost two pounds of frozen strawberries.2
- Strawberries are actually a member of the rose family.3
It can be difficult getting the recommended 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per day for adults, so try incorporating these into meal time. Below is a recipe for incorporating strawberries at dinner time! Kraft Foods has a great recipe for using strawberries:
Grilled Chicken with Strawberry Salsa4
- 1/2 cup KRAFT Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing, divided
- 4 small boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 lb.)
- 2 cups small strawberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup ATHENOS Traditional Crumbled Feta Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- Pour 1/4 cup dressing over chicken in shallow dish; turn to evenly coat both sides of each breast with dressing. Refrigerate 30 min. to marinate. Meanwhile, combine strawberries and remaining dressing. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat grill to medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade; discard marinade. Grill chicken 6 to 8 min. on each side or until done (165ºF).
- Transfer chicken to platter; sprinkle with cheese and basil. Serve with strawberry salsa.
- https://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/strawberries. Accessed 4/23/18.
- https://harvestofthemonth.cdph.ca.gov/documents/Spring/Strawberries/Strawberries%20-%20Educator%27s%20Newsletter_Final.pdf. Accessed 4/23/18.
- https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/know_your_farmer_know_your_food/Strawberries.pdf. Accessed 4/23/18.
- https://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/grilled-chicken-strawberry-salsa-208096.aspx. Accessed 4/23/18.